Search for COVID-19 Information Here
Are there any programs to help pay student loans?
Federal Student Loans
For the latest information about the federal student loan payment pause, visit the U.S. Department of Education's frequently asked questions page.
State Financial Aid Programs
The Higher Education Student Assistance Authority (HESAA) offers several repayment relief options.
If you are ill, unemployed, or experiencing some other type of financial hardship, you may apply for one of the following relief options:
- Temporary Total Disability: Click Here for the Application
- Unemployment: Click Here for the Application
- Financial Hardship: Click Here for the Application
For more information about HESAA's relief programs and how to apply, visit HESAA's relief options page.
Private Student Loans
The State has secured relief options with private student loan servicers.
New Jersey residents with commercially-owned Federal Family Education Program Loans or privately held student loans who are struggling to make their payments due to the COVID-19 pandemic will be eligible for expanded relief.
Borrowers in need of assistance should contact their student loan servicer to see what options are available.
Relief options include:
- Providing a minimum of 90 days of forbearance relief for borrowers;
- Waiving late payment fees for borrowers;
- Ensuring no borrower is subject to negative credit reporting;
- Ceasing debt collection lawsuits for 90 days; and
- Working with eligible borrowers to enroll them in other applicable borrower assistance programs.
Residents who have questions or are experiencing trouble with their student loan servicer may contact the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance Consumer Hotline at 1-800-446-7467 or file a complaint online.
Note: This is an initiative that servicers have opted into.
Source: https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/coronavirus; dobi.nj.gov; https://nj.gov/governor/news/news/562020/approved/20200421b.shtml; https://www.nj.gov/governor/news/news/562020/approved/20200515e.shtml;