Search for COVID-19 and Reopening Information Here
Is it true that I can get tested for COVID-19 at a commercial laboratory, such as LabCorp or Quest?
No, you can not get tested for COVID-19 by taking yourself to a commercial laboratory. A commercial laboratory will not perform a COVID-19 test unless they have an order from a health care provider.
Commercial labs are offering COVID-19 testing to individuals who meet certain criteria. However, these tests are not available directly to the general public. They must be ordered by a health care provider, who will order the test from the lab or provide you with a prescription to show the laboratory.
You should not go to a commercial laboratory to seek COVID-19 testing unless your health care provider orders the test and tells you to go there. Work with your health care provider to coordinate testing.
All costs and fees associated with commercial laboratories are the responsibility of the patient.
Testing For COVID-19 Infection
To find out if you have COVID-19, visit any of the 250+ testing sites across the state.
Testing is now available to everyone in New Jersey. It's quick and easy. You don't need insurance and free testing is available.
Visit COVID19.nj.gov/testing to find a testing site near you.
It's especially important to get tested if:
- You are experiencing symptoms (fever, cough, shortness of breath, chills, sore throat, muscle pain, shivering, headache, or new loss of taste or smell)
- You have been in close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19
- You are an essential worker (health care worker, first responder, food service worker, or transit worker)
- You were recently in a large crowd where social distancing was hard to maintain
- You recently travelled to an area or a state with high COVID-19 infection rates