Search for COVID-19 and Reopening Information Here
How do I get the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine?
Everyone should receive two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines in order to have maximum protection against the virus.
The second dose of the vaccine must be the same brand as the first. These vaccines are not interchangeable. You need to receive two doses of the same vaccine.
Note: Johnson & Johnson's Janssen vaccine only requires a single dose. You do not need to get a second dose of the Janssen vaccine.
Second Dose Location
You should schedule your second dose appointment at the same place where you got your first dose.
- If you made your first dose appointment through the NJ Vaccine Scheduling System, you will receive an automatically scheduled second dose appointment and an email confirmation with the details of the second dose appointment.
- If you received your first dose by booking directly with a vaccine clinic and did not use the NJ Vaccine Scheduling System, you likely scheduled a second dose appointment when you had your first appointment. If you did not receive a second dose appointment at the time of receiving your first dose, you need to contact the site where you received your first vaccine for assistance scheduling the second dose.
- If you received a first dose at the Gloucester County Megasite before the state scheduling system was available you will be contacted directly by this site.
Second Dose Timing
It is recommended that individuals get their second dose as close to the recommended date as possible:
- For Pfizer: 21 days after first dose
- For Moderna: 28 days after first dose
However, there is no known loss of efficacy of the second dose as long as someone receives the second dose within six weeks of receiving their first dose.
The State's toll-free vaccination hotline (1-855-568-0545) is available from 8 am to 8 pm, seven days a week to register individuals in the NJ Vaccine Scheduling System, answer questions about the vaccine, provide contact information for sites, and check registration status.