Search for COVID-19 and Reopening Information Here
COVID Alert NJ: Overview
What is COVID Alert NJ?
COVID Alert NJ is a New Jersey's free, and secure mobile app that anonymously alerts users if they have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
The app also provides users with up-to-date information on New Jersey reopening news, key COVID-19 metrics, and a user-friendly symptom tracking tool. COVID Alert NJ uses Bluetooth proximity technology. The app will never record any identifying data. All users will remain anonymous.
Where can I download COVID Alert NJ?
How can an exposure notification app help in the fight against COVID-19?
The app is free, easy to use, entirely voluntary and protects the user's privacy and data while providing them with critical information, including whether or not they've potentially been exposed to COVID-19 and what steps to take to protect others. New Jersey's exposure notification app, COVID Alert NJ, is an additional tool in New Jersey's efforts to fight the spread of COVID-19.
How does COVID Alert NJ work?
COVID Alert NJ uses Bluetooth proximity technology and works through an underlying system developed by Google and Apple. A user's app detects and logs Bluetooth devices that have been within six feet of the user for 10 minutes or longer. These devices then exchange anonymous codes ("random codes"). If one of the users tests positive within the next 14 days, they will be contacted by a public health representative working at the local health department and provided with a validation code. After a positive user enters the validation code into the app, the app will retrieve all of the random codes collected over the preceding 14 days and will send an anonymous notification to those individuals who have potentially been exposed to COVID-19.
What are the benefits of using COVID Alert NJ?
New Jerseyans should use COVID Alert NJ:
- To be alerted if they have been in close contact with another app user who has tested positive for COVID-19 – even if that person is a stranger
- To track their symptoms and get advice on what to do to protect themselves and others
- To be able to anonymously warn other app users whom they were in close contact with, if they tested positive for COVID-19 – especially for people who they forget to have met and/or whose identity they do not know (e.g., at public places, bus/train ride)
- To monitor the latest information and statistics related to the COVID-19 pandemic
- To reach DOH public health representatives to help connect them to support (this feature will be included post-launch)
Does COVID Alert NJ track a user's location?
COVID Alert NJ does not use, track, or collect any geolocation or GPS data. It works exclusively through Bluetooth proximity detection.
I live or work in multiple states that have an Exposure Notification app - which app should I download?
You only need to download one COVID Alert app from your state of residence. NJ, NY, DE, and PA have worked together as a region to ensure all COVID Alert apps will work across the states with an app. So for New Jerseyans, we encourage you to add your phone to the COVID fight and download COVID Alert NJ!