Search for COVID-19 and Reopening Information Here
Can funerals or memorial services be held? Is there support for COVID-related funeral costs?
COVID-19 Funeral Assistance
FEMA is providing financial assistance for COVID-19 related funeral expenses incurred after January 20, 2020.
To apply, call 844-684-6333. The hotline is open Monday through Friday 9 am to 9pm.
To learn more about the program including eligibility requirements, visit FEMA's Funeral Assistance FAQ page.
Funerals and Memorial Services
Funerals and memorial services may continue to be held.
There is no numerical limit for indoor and outdoor gatherings including funerals and memorial services.
Safety Tips For Gatherings
To avoid putting your loved ones at risk, the CDC and the NJ Department of Health has offered safety tips for in-person gatherings:
- Get vaccinated against the flu and COVID-19.
- Already vaccinated? Get a COVID-19 booster.
- Gather with those who are fully vaccinated, outdoors, or in places with good ventilation
- Wear a mask whenever possible. People may choose to mask at any time. You SHOULD wear a mask if you have COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, exposure to someone with COVID-19, or live in a county with elevated or "high" COVID community levels.
- Stay home and do not host a gathering if you feel sick.
- Get tested if you have COVID-19 symptoms or are a close contact.
- Even if you aren't sick, get tested before visiting people outside of your household as an added precaution. Visit covid19.nj.gov/testing to find a testing location near you.
- Delay travel until you are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines.
- If traveling, visit the CDC's travel page for safety tips and guidance.
- Make hand sanitizer available for guests.
- Remind guests to wash their hands before serving or eating food.
- Use single-use hand towels or paper towels for drying hands so guests do not share a towel.
- Clean and disinfect commonly touched surfaces and any shared items between use when feasible.