Search for COVID-19 and Reopening Information Here
What federal grant opportunities are available to support New Jersey governments, institutes, and business communities?
Many grant opportunities are available to a broad spectrum of applicants, including small businesses, for-profit companies and non-profit organizations (NPOs), institutes of higher education (IHEs), and others.
Below is information on a variety of federal opportunities. If you know of a program or resource that should be included here or have suggestions to improve usability please contact Federalresources@NJEDA.com
NOTE: More information is available regarding specific opportunities is available on Grants.gov. Use the Funding Opportunity Number in the Grants.gov search field. Also, some opportunities may have pre-application or other submission requirements prior to the listed due date. Please check all opportunity documents.
Health & Human Services
- Department of Health and Human Services (including National Institutes of Health and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) has announced that funds may be available for Administrative Supplements to meet increased costs that are within the scope of the approved award.
- The CDC will make $560 million in emergency funding available.
- The Office of Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority has released updates to its broad agency announcement for the Development of Medical Products for Novel Coronavirus.
- NIH has released a Notice of Special Interest regarding the Availability of Urgent Competitive Revisions for Research on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus to highlight the urgent need for research on the 2019 novel Coronavirus.
- FDA also is announcing its intent to accept and consider applications for the award of a co-operative agreement to protect and promote the health of the American public by creating new, applied scientific knowledge, tools, standards and approaches to evaluate products more effectively, predictably and efficiently.
Specific Health and Human Services Opportunities:
- The National Institutes of Health has a funding opportunity of $200,000 to support formative research in the area of stigma reduction interventions and new studies to reduce stigma that impedes the use of HIV care and prevention. Funding Opportunity Number: RFA-DA-21-002 (See also RFA-DA-21-001; R34 clinical trial required)
- The National Institutes of Health is seeking applications to participate in a clinical studies program to improve transplant recipient outcomes. Applications due Oct 09, 2020. Eligible application entity types include units of government, IHEs, school districts, NPOs, for profit organizations including small businesses, and housing authorities, among others. Funding Opportunity Number: RFA-AI-20-029
- The National Institutes of Health is seeking applications for up to $1,000,000 to fund opioid related research. Current application due date is Oct 30, 2020. Eligible applicants include units of government, IHEs, NPOs, and for-profit organizations including small businesses among others. Funding Opportunity Number: PAR-20-182
National Science Foundation
- The NSF's coronavirus resource page provides guidance to researchers in the NSF community regarding new application deadlines, information on administrative assistance and supplemental funding, and other funding opportunities dedicated to coronavirus.
- The NSF is accepting proposals to conduct non-medical, non-clinical care research on different aspects of COVID-19.
- The NSF released a Dear Colleague Letter inviting Rapid Response Research proposals and supplemental funding requests to existing awards that address COVID-19 challenges through data and/or software infrastructure development activities.
Specific NSF Opportunities:
- The National Science Foundation is seeking applications in the area of plasma physics. Current application due date is Nov 16, 2020. Eligible applicants are unrestricted. Funding Opportunity Number: PD-18-1242
- The National Science Foundation is seeking applications to support research centers focused on major, long-term fundamental chemical research challenges. Current application due date is Jan 14, 2021. Eligible applicants include IHEs and NPOs. Funding Opportunity Number: 20-574
- The National Science Foundation is seeking applications for $450,000 to $5,000,000 to support the Discovery Research PreK-12 program. Current application due date is Oct 07, 2020. Eligible applicants are unrestricted. Funding Opportunity Number: 20-572
Department of Energy
- The DOE has identified scientific and technical information supporting coronavirus and viral-related research.
- DOE has unique capabilities that the scientific community may leverage for the COVID-19 response and recovery. https://science.osti.gov/-/media/sc-1/pdf/COVID-19-letter.pdf
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology invites Manufacturing USA institutes to propose high-impact projects designed to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. Funding Opportunity Number: 2020-NIST-MFGUSA-NEAP-01
- The Medical CBRN Defense Consortium (MCDC) was formed in response to the Government's expressed interest to establish Other Transaction Agreement (OTA) with an eligible entity or group of entities, to include industry, academic, and not-for-profit partners, for advanced development efforts to support the Department of Defense's (DoD) medical pharmaceutical and diagnostic requirements as related to enhancing the mission effectiveness of military personnel. They developed an OTA addressing the COVID pandemic.
Federal Grant Tips:
Grants generally require organizations obtain a DUNS #, SAM.gov registration, and Grants.gov registration. These can take some time (several weeks to months). It is best to start the process immediately.
- How to register an organization, including DUNS, SAM, and Grants.gov registrations: https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/applicants/organization-registration.html
- How to Apply for Grants: Getting Started page: https://www.grants.gov/applicants/apply-for-grants.html
- 20 Tips to apply using Workspace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGFGdxcteMU