Search for COVID-19 and Reopening Information Here

What can I do if I’m having child custody issues?

Last Updated: 02/04/2021

If you are unable to come to an agreement or settle the issue on your own, try seeking mediation.

If immediate and permanent harm will occur if your case isn't heard immediately, you can file your family case as an emergent matter through the State's court system.

You can ask for things like emergency custody, termination of visitation, or temporary prevention of relocation of a child outside of New Jersey. Use the Emergent Application Order to Show Cause and the Model Form for Dissolution, Non-dissolution, and Domestic Violence and email them to the emergent filing mailbox for your county listed below.

Contact your local court ombudsman for questions about these and other case types.

NOTE: To prevent the spread of COVID-19, a small number of judges and court staff are working on-site each day. The rest continue to work remotely to ensure safe distancing can be maintained. Courthouses and court facilities are open only to attorneys, litigants, and members of the public with scheduled proceedings or appointments. You do not need an appointment to seek a domestic violence restraining order at a county courthouse. Check with your local court house for the latest updates.

Where to Email Your Emergent Filing: